Home > Travel FAQs

Common FAQs

01. The travel agent/tour operator/airline company that I booked with has gone into administration. What should I do?

If you are an InsureandGo Ireland policyholder and have lost your holiday, we will change the dates on your insurance policy to cover your new holiday. To arrange this, please contact our customer service team on 091 545 904 within 30 days of the travel company going into administration

02. I’ve lost my documents. How do I retrieve them?

If you have lost your policy documents, please call our Customer Service team on 091 545 904 or email ieteles@mapfre.com to request a reissue of your documentation.

03. What do I do if my passport is lost or stolen abroad?

You should report any loss or thefts of passports to the local police in the country you are in as soon as possible. You will need the crime reference details they provide for the APS1 (which is the Lost or Stolen Passport Notification) form. You should also report the loss or theft to the Irish embassy of the country you are in. You can get details of your local Irish embassy wherever you are by visiting the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs. The Irish embassy will issue you with replacement travel documents so you can travel back.

04. When will my documents arrive through the post?

Please allow up to 5 working days between you buying your policy and your documents being received in the post.

05. What do I need to take on holiday with me?

We advise that you take your travel insurance certificate and the relevant policy wording booklet away with you.

You may travel with a printed copy of your emailed documents. If you are unable to print your emailed documents, simply write down your policy number and the emergency medical assistance and claims line telephone numbers from the back of our policy wording booklets which can be found here.

06. How many times can I go away if I have an Annual Multi Trip policy?

When you buy an Annual Multi Trip policy you are covered to go away as many times as you want up to a maximum of 183 days. Don’t forget however that there is a maximum per trip duration – 31 days for Bronze policies, 45 days for Gold policies, and 60 days for Platinum policies. If you are aged 66 and over, the maximum trip duration is 31 days.

07. Can we all travel independently on an Annual Multi Trip policy?

Yes, everyone on an Annual Multi Trip policy is entitled to travel independently, but children under 18 who travel alone must be dropped off and picked up by a responsible adult aged over 21.

08. What happens when my Annual Multi Trip policy expires?

We will write to you 31 days before your Annual Multi Trip policy expires to remind you that your policy is coming up for renewal. If you have any questions about your renewal, please contact us on 091 545 904 and speak to a member of our sales team.


01. What is the maximum age you can insure up to?

If you are aged 66-86 inclusive we can cover you although the maximum trip duration is 31 days. This above applies to both Single Trip and Annual Multi Trip policy.

02. What is a resident of the Republic of Ireland? Are you able to cover non-Republic of Ireland residents?

We define a resident of the Republic of Ireland as being someone who has been living in the Republic of Ireland for at least 6 of the last 12 months.

03. Can you insure non-Republic of Ireland residents?

As long as you have been living in the Republic of Ireland for at least 6 of the last 12 months, InsureandGo Ireland can provide you with cover.

04. I’ve left the Republic of Ireland and forgotten to get insurance. Can I still get cover with you?

Unfortunately, we are unable to cover you if you have already left the Republic of Ireland.

Destinations and Regions

01. What countries do InsureandGo Ireland policies cover?

InsureandGo Ireland travel insurance policies are broken down into the following geographical areas:

Area 1: Republic of Ireland, England, the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands*

Area 2: Europe, including countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea (except Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Libya)**

Area 3: Worldwide, excluding USA and Canada

Area 4: Worldwide, including USA and Canada

If you are unsure which area your trip falls into, contact our customer service team on 091 545 904 or email ieteles@mapfre.com.

* Trips within Area 1 must consist of pre-booked accommodation for two or more nights.

** Europe consists of Albania, Andorra, Austria, The Azores, The Balearic Islands, Belgium, Belarus, Bosnia, Bulgaria, The Canary islands, The Channel islands, Corsica, Crete, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Lapland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Moldavia, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia (Moscow), San Marino, Sardinia, Serbia, Sicily, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Republic of Ukraine (Kiev), the United Kingdom, and Vatican City.

02. What area do Egypt, the Canary Islands, Morocco and Tunisia come under on your policies?

The countries of Egypt, the Canary Islands, Morocco and Tunisia can be covered with our European travel insurance policies. Please note that Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Libya are not included in our European policies and can be covered on our Worldwide (exc. USA and Canada) and Worldwide (inc. USA and Canada) areas.

03. Where is Lapland?

The Lapland region stretches across Finland and Sweden and is included under our European travel insurance policies.

04. What if I am travelling to more than one country?

We can cover you to travel to multiple destinations as part of one trip. A trip is considered to be from the date that you leave your home country until the date that you return to your home country (or your final destination if it is a one-way trip). You need to ensure that the policy covers you for all the regions that you plan to travel to and certain terms and conditions will apply. For example, if you will be travelling to India, stopping off for a week in Bulgaria, you will need to choose the Worldwide (exc. USA and Canada) as this area includes both of those countries. For more information see our policy wording booklets or call on 091 545 904 to speak to a member of our customer service team.

05. I have a European Annual Multi Trip policy but I will now be travelling outside of Europe. Can I upgrade my policy?

Certain non-European countries like Egypt, Turkey, Morocco and Tunisia are included under our European policies. If you’re not travelling to one of these countries you can upgrade your Annual Multi Trip policy to include worldwide cover for an additional premium. Please call our customer service team on 091 545 904 to arrange this. Alternatively, you can purchase a separate Single Trip policy but upgrading your Annual Multi Trip policy to include worldwide cover might work out cheaper.

06. I am travelling to Cuba. Will I need to purchase additional medical cover upon entry?

No. Provided you have an InsureandGo Ireland travel insurance policy with cover for medical expenses included, you will not need to purchase additional cover.

Buying an InsureandGo Ireland policy

01. How can I buy a travel insurance policy?

You can purchase a travel insurance policy online in just a few minutes. Alternatively, you can purchase your travel insurance over the phone from one of our friendly sales agents. To buy over the phone, please call us on 091 545 904.

02. What ages do I put down when getting a quote?

Please enter your current ages. It does not matter if you have a birthday after you buy the policy; we just need your ages at the time your purchase the policy.

03. If I purchase online, are my details secure?

At InsureandGo Ireland, we take data protection very seriously. When you submit your personal and payment details to InsureandGo Ireland online, they are encrypted to ensure that no-one else can read them. You can confirm this by looking for the padlock icon which appears either next to the address bar or in the status bar on the payment page. We also hold your details according to the General Data Protection Act (GDPR). Please note that InsureandGo Ireland do not hold your payment details.

04. How can I pay for my travel insurance?

You can pay for your travel insurance using a credit or debit card, or by cheque. We accept the following credit and debit cards:
  • VISA
  • MasterCard
  • VISA Debit Card
  • Laser Card
Payments by credit or debit card are instant but may take time to show on your statement.

05. When should I start my travel insurance?

If you are purchasing Single Trip or Long Stay travel insurance, you will need to start your policy on the day that you leave to go on your trip. Cover for cancellation on these policies starts from the date of purchase. If you are purchasing an Annual Multi Trip, you are only covered from the date you choose to start your policy.

06. I can’t find a policy that’s suitable. Are you able to advise me?

We can help you by offering you a range of different travel insurance choices to help you decide what might be appropriate for you. To talk through your options, please call us on 091 545 904 or email ieteles@mapfre.com.

07. Can children aged under 18 be covered on their own policy?

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide insurance for children aged under 18 who are not travelling with a responsible adult.

08. I am having trouble paying online. Can you help me?

If you are having trouble paying for your travel insurance online, make sure you check all of your personal and payment details. Ensure you have selected the correct card type and entered your full card number. Check the expiry and/or valid from date has been entered correctly. Also, make sure you have entered the correct security code (CVC). This code is the last three digits shown on the back of your card over the signature strip.
If you are still having problems processing your payment, please contact us on 091 545 904.

09. What are my cancellation rights?

Once you have purchased your travel insurance, subject to the condition detailed in the note below, you are entitled to a 14 working day cooling-off period. If you contact us within this cooling-off period, you are entitled to a full refund of your travel insurance policy, provided you have not travelled or made any claims on the policy. To cancel your travel insurance and claim your refund, you will need to contact us in writing or by e-mail.

To cancel by e-mail, send your request to ieteles@mapfre.com.

To cancel by post, send a letter to:

Customer Service Department
Insure&Go Ireland Ltd
Ireland Assist House
22-26 Prospect Hill

10. How is my policy delivered?

We can deliver your policy by post and by e-mail. We can also send you your policy details in a text message to your mobile phone. Please be aware that the posted documents can take 5 to 10 working days to arrive. The e-mailed documents can take up to 5 minutes to arrive in your inbox. There is an additional charge to have your documents posted.

What you’re covered for

01. When does the cover begin and end on my policy?

If you have purchased a Single Trip or Long Stay policy, you are covered for cancellation of your trip from and including the date of purchase. If you have purchased an Annual Multi Trip policy, cover only starts on the chosen start date of your policy. For example, if you chose to start your Annual Multi Trip on the 1st December, you will not be covered if you need to cancel your holiday on any date before the 1st December.

02. What is the maximum trip length?

You can take out a Single Trip policy for up to a maximum of 365 days if you are aged 65 or under. If you take out an Annual Multi-Trip policy, you are covered for any trip not exceeding 31 days (Bronze policies), 45 days (Gold policies) or 60 days (Platinum policies), if you are aged 65 or under. If you are aged 66 and over, we will only cover you for up to 31 days for each trip.

03. What is an excess?

The excess is the amount that you would need to pay towards a claim. For example, if you make a claim of €100 and the excess is €60, you will only be able to claim back the remaining €40. The excess amount is displayed in the policy wording booklet.

04. What are the terms and conditions?

You must make sure that you read the terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy carefully so you know what you are covered for. You can download a PDF copy of the policy wording booklet at the link at the top of this page.

05. Are there any exclusions to the policy?

There are some exclusions that apply to the cover. To check the policy exclusions, take a look at the policy wording booklet that is relevant to the policy that you have/are interested in purchasing. You can download a copy of the policy wording booklets.

06. Am I covered for cancellation?

All of our travel insurance policies include cover for cancellation of your trip. To read the terms and conditions that apply to cancellation cover, please read the relevant policy wording booklet.

07. What is the definition of Personal Accident?

Under the Personal Accident section of your insurance, we will pay you or your executors or administrators up to the maximum limit as defined by your policy, if you are involved in an accident during your trip which causes you an injury, and this accident is the only thing that results in you becoming disabled within 12 months of the date of the accident. We will pay for the following:
  • Your permanent total disability
  • Losing one or more of your limbs (a permanent loss at or above the wrist or ankle)
  • Irrecoverable loss of sight in one or both eyes for a period of at least 12 months
  • If you die, we will pay the maximum amount as defined on your policy (this is limited for children aged under 16 years of age and adults over 65 years of age)

If you have further questions about Personal Accident cover, please contact our Customer Service Department by phone on 091 545 904 or email ieteles@mapfre.com.

08. Am I covered for foreseen events (e.g. planned strike action or forecasted weather)?

We are unable to provide cover for events that arise that were known about at the time you booked your holiday or purchased your travel insurance.

Medical cover and health conditions

01. Who do I contact in the event of a medical emergency?

Call our medical emergency line at +353 91 545908. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

02. I have pre-existing medical conditions. Can I get cover for these on my policy too?

You can declare your conditions quickly and easily using our online medical screening system or, if you would prefer to speak to one of our friendly agents, call us on 091 545 904.

03. What is a pre-existing medical condition?

A pre-existing medical condition is any medical or psychological sickness, disease, condition, injury or symptom of which you are aware, or that has affected you or any close relative, travelling companion or person with whom you intend to stay with during the course of your trip, which has required treatment, medical consultation(s) or investigation(s), or prescribed medication at any time during the last two years prior to the commencement of cover under this policy and/or prior to each and every trip. You must inform InsureandGo Ireland of any pre-existing medical conditions you have before purchasing insurance or of any which occurs between the date the policy is incepted and the date of departure. To do so, you can use our quick and easy online medical screening system or you can call us.

04. If cover is refused for my pre-existing medical condition, am I still covered?

If, subject to our simple medical screening questions, cover is refused for your pre-existing medical condition, we will only exclude any claims relating to that medical condition. The rest of your travel insurance cover will not be affected by this exclusion.

05. I already have a policy but I’ve recently been diagnosed with a new medical condition. What do I do?

If you already have a policy and there has been a change in your medical status, please call our customer service team on 091 545 904.

06. I have a European Health Insurance Card (formerly known as an E111). Do I still need travel insurance?

The European Health Insurance Card (which used to be called the E111) entitles the holder to free or reduced cost emergency treatment within the following EU countries:
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus (but not in North Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom

07. Is dental treatment covered?

Our policies provide limited cover for emergency dental treatment to enable you to immediately relieve pain. Please refer to your policy schedule for the limits applicable to your policy.

08. What if I have Private Health Insurance?

A discount is available if all the insured persons hold an eligible Private Health Insurance policy for the duration of the InsureandGo policy. The Private Health Insurance policy must provide cover for in-patient medical treatment abroad of at least €55,000 per person per claim.

If you want to make a medical claim while you are abroad and have received a discount on your InsureandGo policy, you must claim against your Private Health Insurance policy first. The benefits payable under your travel insurance policy will only top up the amount payable under your Private Health Insurance policy up to the medical expenses limit in your travel insurance policy.

Making a claim

01. How do I make a claim?

Making a claim with InsureandGo Ireland is easy. To begin, you can download a claims form from our website. You will need to complete the claim form and send it to us with all the relevant documents (e.g. receipts, hospital bills etc). Alternatively, you can contact us by phone on 091 545 907 or by e-mail at traveldept@mapfre.com. Please note that you will need to notify us of your claim within 31 days of the end of your trip. Once you have registered your claim with InsureandGo Ireland, this time limit no longer applies.

02. I don’t have receipts for my personal items. Can I still make a claim?

It is highly recommended that receipts are kept and provided as proof in the event of a claim. However, if receipts cannot be obtained, claims will still be considered provided there is some form of proof of purchase or ownership. If you have any further questions, please contact our claims team by phone on 091 545 907 or email traveldept@mapfre.com.

Changing an existing policy

01. I need to amend the address or contact details on my policy. How can I do this?

If you need to amend the address or contact details on your travel insurance policy, please contact our Customer Service Department on 091 545 904. We will be able to amend the details on your policy at no extra charge and also resend the amended documents to you by post or by e-mail.

02. Can I change the names of the insured persons on my policy before I travel?

If you need to amend the name of one of the travellers before you go, you can do so. Please note that we would need confirmation of the name change (for example, a marriage or Deed Poll certificate). We can only change the name of a traveller, if their new name is reflected on their passport and we are unable to replace travellers with another person. Please contact us by phone on 091 545 904 or email ieteles@mapfre.com if you wish to amend a traveller’s name.

03. Can I extend my cover while I’m away?

You can extend the cover on your single trip travel insurance policy while you’re away, providing there are no pending claims against the policy. Policies can be extended only once and you will need to pay an additional premium for the extended cover. If you need to extend your policy, please contact us by phone on 091 545 904 or email ieteles@mapfre.com. Trip extensions cannot be provided on annual multi trip policies.

Hazardous activities and sports

01. Am I covered for scuba diving when I go travelling?

Scuba diving is covered free on all our travel insurance policies for up to 14 days, provided you are qualified and that you will be diving no deeper than 30 metres. If you are not a qualified scuba diver or you are qualified but will be diving more than 30 metres, you will need to pay an additional premium for each day you will be scuba diving. To add this cover on to your travel insurance policy, please call our Customer Service Department on 091 545 904.

02. Am I covered for bungee jumping when I go travelling?

Yes, you are covered for up to 3 bungee jumps free on all of our travel insurance policies.

03. Am I covered for white water rafting when I go travelling?

InsureandGo Ireland cover white or black water rafting (grades 1 to 3) free on all our travel insurance policies. If you will be taking part in white or black water rafting (grades 5 to 6), you will need to pay an additional premium. Please call our Customer Services Department on 091 545 904 to add this cover on to your policy.

04. I will be doing an activity that the terms and conditions state there is no personal accident/personal liability cover for. What does this mean?

If you will be doing an activity that the terms and conditions state there is no Personal Accident or Personal Liability cover for, it is just these two sections of your travel insurance that will be excluded. If you have an accident and injure yourself, you will still be covered for medical expenses, but you will not be able to claim under the separate Personal Accident or Personal Liability sections.

Winter sports

01. What activities are covered with your winter sports travel insurance?

We cover all of the following activities in our winter sports travel insurance:

  • Cat skiing
  • Cross-country skiing
  • Glacier walking or trekking
  • Ice skating
  • Mono skiing
  • Off-piste skiing
  • Off-piste snowboarding
  • Recreational ski or snowboard racing
  • Skiing
  • Snowboarding
  • Snowmobiling
  • Tobogganing

While taking part in off-piste skiing and snowboarding, you must make sure that the areas in which you ski or snowboard are considered to be safe by the resort management.

The following are defined as extreme ski activities:

  • Bobsleighing
  • Freestyle skiing
  • Heli-skiing
  • Lugeing
  • Skeletons
  • Ski acrobatics
  • Ski racing or training (non-professional)
  • Ski stunting

If you will be taking part in any of these extreme ski activities, you will need to pay an additional premium to be covered. To arrange this, please contact our customer service team on 091 545 904.

02. Do you cover mountain rescue?

Mountain rescue is covered on our policy provided you have paid the appropriate winter sports premium, or you have arranged an Annual Multi Trip which includes winter sports cover for free.

03. Do you provide travel insurance cover for a whole season?

If you are looking for cover for the whole season, you can be covered with our Long Stay policies, which can cover trips of up to 12 months. Winter sports cover is available on all of these policies.

04. Am I covered if I am a ski instructor or if I am going to ski instructor school?

Unfortunately, we can only cover ski and ski training on a non-professional basis.

05. Am I covered for more extreme winter sports activities?

We can cover you for winter sports activities such as recreational skiing or snowboarding if you have paid the additional winter sports premium or if you have arranged Annual Multi Trip cover.

If you are under 50, we can also cover you to take part in the following extreme ski activities if you pay the appropriate extra premium:

  • Heli-skiing
  • Ski acrobats
  • Ski stunting
  • Freestyle skiing
  • Ski racing and training (non-professional)
  • Skeletons
  • Bobsleighs

If you will be taking part in an extreme ski activity, please contact our Customer Service Department on 091 545 904.


01. How do I make a complaint?

We are committed to providing You with exceptional customer service however, if you have a complaint or enquiry please get in touch and We will try to put things right: Customer Service Department, InsureandGo Ireland, 22-26 Prospect Hill, Galway.

You also may be interested in …

Contact information

Emergency contact overseas

In the event of an emergency overseas, call +353 91 545908

Non-emergency claims

For non-emergency claims, please call +353 91 545907

Other enquiries

For other enquiries, please see our “Contact Us” page.